Phoenix - 9pts

I've read a lot of manga but this is the first I'm read that had this sort of style. It took me a while to get into the correct tone of this comic because I was mislead by the very cute style into thinking it would be more innocent and carefree. But then a character dies and I was confused by the storyline right off the bat. Less importantly I got confused by the gender of a few characters, I thought the younger boy was a girl. Then the tone would switch from something very serious to very carefree almost instantaneously and I would lose the character's goals. I forgot about the phoenix for some parts of it as well and had to remind myself of the original plot of the story. There definitely a lot of plot twists though. I think maybe the translation ended up getting me lost sometimes perhaps.

Phoenix Future was even more confusing to me, maybe because I was used to the prehistoric timeline from before but I became confused by this. It was a completely different style than the previous one but I think I began to prefer it. I felt like things were tied down more environmentwise. In the previous comic the island and the village seemed to be floating in the middle of nowhere and it had little concept of space in relativeness to anywhere else.  I found that I liked the relationship with the characters a lot more and the romantic addition to the plot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dark Knight Returns - 4pts

Watchmen - 4pts